SUCCESSFUL BURNER APPLICATIONS:
FREE-JET Application No: 1
This particular natural draft application was a Stabilizer Reboiler Vertical Cylindrical Heater (35 feet tall, 10.67 meters) with a four-burner configuration. In this application, the customer wanted ultra Low NOx numbers. The heat density in the furnace was over 302,000 Btu/Hr-ft2, with the total heater duty of 35.2 MMBtu/hr. Once the heater was lined out in accordance with the operating parameters, the NOx was measured at 0.0171 lbs/MMBtu (12.2 ppm) by a third party with only trace amounts of CO (less than 1.0 ppm).
FREE-JET Application No: 2
This particular natural draft application was a vertical cylindrical FCCU Charge Heater (43 feet tall, 13.1 meters) with an eight-burner configuration. In this application, the customer wanted ultra Low NOx numbers. The heat density in the furnace was over 302,400 Btu/Hr-ft2 with the total heater duty of 57.6 MMBtu/hr. Once the heater was lined out in accordance with the operating parameters, the NOx was measured at 0.0148 lbs/MMBtu (10.6 ppm) by a third party with only trace amounts of CO (less than 1.0 ppm).
FREE-JET Application No: 3
This particular natural draft application was a vertical cylindrical HCU Charge Heater (38 feet tall, 11.6 meters) with a seven-burner configuration. This unique application had six burners in a circle with one burner located in the center. The burners were on a very tight burner circle for this retrofit application. The customer wanted ultra Low NOx numbers for this heater. The heat density in the furnace was over 177,194 Btu/Hr-ft2 with the total heater duty of 77 MMBtu/hr. Once the heater was lined out in accordance with the operating parameters, the NOx was measured at 0.0224 lbs/MMBtu (14.9 ppm) by a third party with only trace amounts of CO (less than 1.0 ppm).
FREE-JET Application No: 4
This particular forced draft application had 525°F (274°C) air preheat and was a vertical cylindrical GDU Charge Heater (61 feet tall, 18.6 meters) with a twelve burner configuration. In this application, the customer wanted ultra Low NOx numbers. The heat density in the furnace was over 277,240 Btu/Hr-ft2 with the total heater duty of 156 MMBtu/hr. Once the heater was lined out in accordance with the operating parameters, the NOx was measured at 0.0149 lbs/MMBtu (10.7 ppm) by a third party with only trace amounts of CO (less than 1.0 ppm).
FREE-JET Application No: 5
This particular forced draft application had 600°F (316°C) air preheat and was a box style Coker Heater in a Cruciformer configuration (40 feet tall, 12.2 meters) with a 64-burner arrangement of four burner groups of 16 burners per cell. In this application, the customer wanted ultra Low NOx numbers. The heat density in the furnace was over 350,000 Btu/Hr-ft2 with the total heater duty of 640 MMBtu/hr. Once the heater was lined out in accordance with the operating parameters, the NOx was measured at 0.036 lbs/MMBtu (25.9 ppm) by a third party with only trace amounts of CO (less than 1.0 ppm).
- LG Chemical Korea Case Study
In 2012, Zeeco successfully installed a Zeeco QFSC Steam Assisted Flare System for LG Chemicals petrochemical plant in South Korea. Zeeco worked closely with the EPC company, LG / Toyo Korea, to ensure the flare’s proper design, full fabrication, field assembly, and erection / start-up for the facility.
In order to successfully complete and meet necessary flaring requirements for the total facility, Zeeco engineers had to perform difficult radiation analysis for multiple locations and heights for the new flaring system to satisfy requirements. The analysis proved to be challenging due to existing flares operating in close proximity to the new flare’s location, as well as the variation in the topography within the flare’s proposed area. Zeeco engineers were required to consider existing flare systems in any radiation analysis, while still meeting all radiation requirements. The QFSC Derrick Flare System was selected due to its proprietary tip design, which will use a number of injection ports to successfully reduce steam injection noise, lowering the radiation level at grade, and its minimize total land required for installation.
Another challenge was to meet equipment fabrication and installation completion deadline within an eight-month timeframe. Zeeco fabricated and supplied the following equipment:
- 120m Flare Stack
- Integral Liquid Seal Drum in Stack Base
- Buoyancy Type Purge Gas Seal Device
- 120m Derrick Support Structure for Flare Stack
- Set of Ladders and Platforms
- Retractable Davit System
- QFSC Flare Tip with 4 Pilots
- Front Flame Generator (FFG) Rack with Control Panel
- Fixed Aircraft Warning Light System with Control Panel
- Utility Piping
- Interconnecting Piping between the Flare Stack and FFG Rack
Although there were several last minute changes made during installation in the field, Zeeco was able to promptly work with installers to make the necessary changes required for proper installation. We were also able to help meet LG Chemicals start-up deadline by assisting with start-up issues due to pilot gas composition. The pilot’s fuel gas composition contained an inordinate amount of hydrogen, causing problems with pilot ignition. Zeeco personnel made the required adjustments and changes in the field to accommodate the varying fuel gas possibilities for the job. This resulted in a combustible gas/air mixture range, solving the pilot’s ignition issue.
The following confirms Zeeco’s commitment and dedication to meet our customer’s expectations.
- 120m Flare Stack
- The only pilot to operate continuously in hurricane force winds. ZEECO HSLF pilots used in petrochemical and refining facilities located in Louisiana and Texas hit directly hit by hurricanes Ike and Rita suffered no pilot outage.
|HSLF Flare Pilot Hurricane
|HSLF Flare Pilot Brochure
(1.0 MB PDF)
- Zeeco was involved in the first successful supply, erection and commission of an elevated flare system with demountable risers in Korea.
- A major oil producer in Ecuador hired Zeeco to replace a non-smokeless flare with a fully smokeless flare systems. Delivery time for the systems was 10 weeks from receipt of purchase order to equipment shipment. Zeeco successfully supplied the equipment within this tight deadline.
- Zeeco has been awarded the contract for the design and supply of the world’s largest capacity enclosed ground flare system.
- Zeeco supplied all elevated flare equipment for the Reliance Jamnagar Complex, the world’s largest refinery. Work included dismantling, repair and re-installation of 8 flares on 3 - 150 meter tall risers.
- Zeeco supplied the first Australian ground flare system in an LNG facility. The system is celebrating over 5 years of trouble free operation.
- As a combustion equipment manufacturer, Zeeco is committed to providing the best solution for individual needs. Depending on the customer, the application or the area of installation those needs can vary between capacity, efficiency, longevity, operational ease or a host of other factors.
Zeeco’s Aftermarket team was asked by Tengizchevroil to review the design of a steam flare tip used at their refinery in Kazakhstan. The existing configuration was an internal steam-tube style flare tip where steam was used to aspirate air into the combustion zone for smokeless flaring. Due to the extremely cold environmental conditions, the internal steam injection method of the original configuration had detrimental icing issues. In sub-freezing temperatures, the steam condensed and froze inside the injection tubes. This caused the prevention of air reaching the combustion stream, harmful flame impingement to components of the flare tip, premature deterioration, significant and dangerous ice formations on the flare stack and other operational failures.
In the original manufacture’s design the operation of the flare tip was overlooked in favor of obtaining the highest smokeless rate. Even after the original tip failed due to icing issues, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) replaced it like-in-kind and neglected to address the failure mode or the significant safety hazards.
Working with Tengizchevroil to ensure the required smokeless capacity was maintained, Zeeco designed a replacement flare tip. The revised Zeeco design eliminated the internal steam injection tubes, added significant insulation to the steam injection manifold, and provided simple operational parameters that successfully eliminated the icing issue.
As a result of the simplified Zeeco design, Tengizchevroil realized a monetary savings regarding the capital equipment costs and day-today operations of the replacement flare tip versus the design of the original equipment manufacturer. The first Zeeco flare tip operated successfully through the first cold season meeting Tengizchevroil’s expectations. Consequently, they regularly replace internal tube-style steam flare tips during plant turnaround opportunities with Zeeco Aftermarket flare tips.
The Zeeco Aftermarket Parts and Services group is unique to the combustion industry due to the design capabilities of the personnel, as well as the expertise in providing upgrades and retrofits to other OEM equipment. By taking a critical thinking approach plus effectively matching the needs of the plant to the capabilities of the equipment, Zeeco and Tengizchevroil successfully executed a design change that positively impacted safety, operations, and the end user’s bottom line.
- We want to thank Zeeco for an excellent job of building and delivering our new flare tip. The replacement flare tip was very well built and everything we specified was done. The tip was installed very easily and all four (4) pilots lit off on the first attempt. Zeeco’s staff were always available to assist and met with us as requested to work out details of the design. The control panels for the HEI / FFG pilots were also easy to install plus worked on the first attempt and were built to our specifications precisely. Everything about this job was well planned and executed with the end result being a highly efficient flare tip that has a great flame that has been very stable. The new replacement flare tip is our only flare tip that did not lose its pilots during the high winds from hurricanes this year. It has also performed flawlessly so far. All of our other tips lost all of their pilots and could not be re-lit with HEI during the hurricanes.
- We wish to extend our gratitude for a job well done. Your reaction time to my initial phone call was remarkable; and the turn-around time for the job itself was better than anticipated. In a crunch situation, Zeeco has proven to be extremely reliable and dependable. We look forward to future business opportunities with such a company.
- Here at our plant, we have been using Zeeco Radiant Wall Burners in our Ethylene furnaces for about five years. We are very pleased with the relationship we have with Zeeco.
- I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your cooperation and service during our TAR. The air registers and burner orifices that you supplied far exceeded any other design we were shown in both quality and price. Hats off to you. I cannot tell you how happy our operators are to finally have air registers that work and work so well. I would also like to thank you as well for your ability to produce on such notice. We gave you very short notice to deliver 224 registers and orifices but you still met the deadline with time to spare.
- Replacing a competitors steam assisted flare tip in one week? [Not a problem!] A facility in the midwest called chuckling when they asked Zeeco about replacing an existing tip built by one of their competitors and have it shipped in one week. Zeeco personnel accepted the challenge, sprung into action and obtained the needed information required to evaluate this fast track opportunity. A proposal was quickly generated and it was pleasantly surprising to this client that Zeeco could provide a complete replacement tip with pilots in less time than the manufacturer of their existing flare could provide only a replacement steam ring. Zeeco shipped the replacement flare tip in one week (on time) and even followed up with a site visit to ensure everyone on site was pleased with the fitup and performance of the replacement flare tip. Now that's heroic customer service.
To submit and inquiry for any of the products shown on this page please click here or select INQUIRIES from the left hand menu options.
Read more about Zeeco's Aftermarket Products and Services in these two industry articles:
22151 East 91st Street
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 74014 USA
Phone: +1 918-258-8551
Fax: +1 918-251-5519