FlareGuardian™ Direct Flare Monitoring Technology
Day and night, the ZEECO® FlareGuardian™ Flare Monitor is an innovative and revolutionary instrument utilizing patented Video Imaging Spectro-Radiometry (VISR) tech- nology. FlareGuardian provides flare system users and operators with accurate, reliable real-time reporting and feedback to determine important performance metrics, simplify compliance, and optimize flare performance. The known shortcomings of current indirect monitoring methods combined with the new EPA standards and deadlines drove the development of a new flare combustion efficiency (CE) measurement and monitoring method – a technology that can be used to directly, autonomously, and continuously measure CE and smoke levels in real time.
FlareGuardian allows operators to eliminate tedious aiming, data reduction, and ongoing operation and maintenance costs associated with other flare monitoring methods while staying in compliance with the Refinery RTR rule under 40 CFR 63.670. Previously, flare operators have been limited to indirect flare monitoring options including Gas Chromatograph (GC), calorimeters, flare gas flow meters and monitoring, and steam / air controls. Now, the maintenance and calibra- tion-free ZEECO FlareGuardian offers an alternative direct monitoring system that eliminates ongoing maintenance and operational costs. The EPA is requiring compliance with 40 CFR Parts 60 and 63 by January 31, 2019. Be ready with FlareGuardian.
Real Time. Reliable. Customizable.
The FlareGuardian system provides real-time, easy-to- read feedback on flare system performance. Based on VISR’s unique multi-spectral Infrared (IR) imager, FlareGuardian uses a high frame rate, high spectral selectivity, and high spatial resolution over a fast data acquisition cycle of 91–33ms.
Eliminate the inaccuracies and delayed results inherent to indirect flare monitoring. Rather than determining compliance and combustion efficiency through a time-consuming, repetitive process of measuring inputs, assuming reactions and velocities, and arriving at an assumed operating status, FlareGuardian directly monitors flare performance in real-time.
When required, the FlareGuardian system automatically adjusts supplemental fuel additions, as well as any assist source (gas, steam, or air) via a closed-loop control system – lowering costs for supplemental fuel and maintaining more accurate destruction efficiency. FlareGuardian is remotely-mounted at grade for non-contact monitoring that eliminates maintenance costs versus indirect monitoring methods that require sensors to be in contact with harsh, often corrosive flare vent gases.
Design Features and Benefits.
- Provides real-time combustion efficiency, smoke index, flame stability, flame footprint, heat release, and pilot status for a complete picture of flare performance
- Autonomous data collection (DCS or PLC) for optimized flare performance
- Simplify monitoring, reporting, and compliance activities
- Remote mounted, non-contact monitoring
- More accurate results versus indirect monitoring
- Eliminates need for monitoring surrogate parameters
- Short measurement cycle (milliseconds, averaged over seconds to 15 minutes, variable) enables quick response and minimizes cost for supplemental fuel, steam, or air
- Industrial closed loop interface allows for flare operation and control based on direct combustion efficiency and smoke index values in real-time
- Easy installation and maintenance, uninterrupted production processes, no shutdown required, and no calibrations